Already a young man in his twenties, Johannes Trapl has taken some bold steps to becoming a demeter certified organic winemaker. Upon his return from an internship in California, he took over his then tiny family estate in Stixneusiedl (Carnuntum region, 40 km east of Vienna) and decided to do his own thing. Such an endeavour can be pretty risky given the traditional structures of a region that used to focus on heavy bodied reds and without a care for sustainable viticulture. Looking at the Trapl estate today, Johannes has not only been cultivating his land organically for years but has also achieved the biodynamic Demeter certification. For him, there is no doubt whatsoever when it comes to justify these many years of hard work: you need living soils and the balanced interplay of nature, climate, soil and man if you want to produce honest, authentic – real – wines that speak of their origin. Johanne’s wines speak of the region and of his unique style that expresses fruit typicity, freshness and juiciness. His whites and reds of different shapes are always precise and characterful. Johannes also shows the huge potential of Blaufränkisch in Carnuntum, especially from the magnificent limestone terroir of the Spitzerberg. Finesse rediscovered.
Products of Johannes Trapl
- Johannes Trapl Organic Blaufränkisch Karpatenschiefer 2018Price £21.89
- Johannes Trapl Organic Grüner Veltliner 202025%
- Johannes Trapl Organic Karpatenschiefer 2019Price £21.89
- Johannes Trapl Organic ST Laurent Reserve 2018Price £21.69
- Johannes Trapl Organic Uni6 2020Price £18.29
- Johannes Trapl Organic Zweigelt 2020Price £15.79